Sunday, March 6, 2011

Staying on My Toes

Like any stereotypical female, I think I have a bit of a thing for shoes.  This doesn't mean that I have dozens and dozens of shoes, but I enjoy the concept of having a closet full of fancy shoes to choose from.  I must say, though, that I'm not very comfortable in heels.  Now, I am aware that shoes with high heels are not designed for comfort.  If you really think about it, they're kind of the opposite . . . they have the potential to cause back and knee problems, arthritis, and other injuries.  Yet women continue to wear them. 

I guess I have an advantage over some, being in the relatively tall category.  There's very little chance for me to be mistaken for somebody younger, and I rarely feel the need to make myself taller.  To be honest, I kind of feel out of place when I'm wearing heels . . . I don't feel like myself.  I like the idea of them and maybe sort of wish I could have that relaxed strut that the models on the runway have in their shoes.  I can't go to a shoe store without trying some on (just because I can). 

These shoes wouldn't be as much of an issue if it wasn't necessary to walk in them.  Guys seem to find something extremely attractive about seeing a woman walking in heels, but it just comes off as extremely awkward to me.  As someone who takes larger steps, heels make me feel slow and unsteady--making it impossible to achieve a tall, confident walk.  They throw off my posture and I start looking at the ground instead of upwards because I'm afraid of my shoes getting caught in a crack and making me trip.  Which totally messes up the shoulders thrown back, head up, confident woman-walk that's supposed to come with wearing heels.  It definitely takes practice to be able to wear them, but are they worth that practice?  I can get a pair of flats that are just as cute and more comfortable.  This is probably just another fashion trend that sort of goes over my head.  I'd take my flats over stilettos any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment