Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Obsession

So I said in my last post that I need to start branching out and exploring more with my knitting.  Lately, I've been in the mood for knitting either a shawl or a scarf of some sort.  I've spent the last couple of days alternately scouring the web for the right pattern and obsessively crocheting afghan squares . . . plase don't ask me where the crocheting kick came from, I found a few of these squares while cleaning my room, and I've barely been able to stop.  That's them right there... chilling with my laptop...

But I digress, I've been scouring the internet for the perfect pattern, I've tried a few patterns with several different skeins of yarn, but nothing has been right.  I sat there staring at the computer screen, watching rows upon rows of patterns coming up and I decided that, well, the only way to get exactly what I want is to design it myself.  Bring in example A:

This is the beginning of my first try hanging out with Eragon here.  It probably won't last much longer.  I think I need to change my approach . . . I've decided that I want something somewhere between a shawl and a scarf--a sharf, if you will--something that's long and relatively narrow, but that has more substance than a scarf.  Something that I can pin with a shawl pin off wear like a scarf.  Or both.  I feel like I'm on my way to that ideal.  I think I need an overall pattern on it, though--either lacy or cable-y.  I'm not sure which.  We'll se how it goes.

You know, having this much free time is very conducive to creativity.  Even though I still haven't accomplished a whole lot, I've accomplished more now than I have over the course of last semester.  Maybe it has something to do with the lack of sketchbook assignments hanging over my head.  I don't know.  It just might . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment